Thursday, February 17, 2011

An update and some quotable quotes a la The West Wing


As a newly hired speechwriter, I'm finding that inspiration is rare to come by. And often - nay, too often - the days are spent chasing deadlines and pleasing the powers that be, so much so that there is little time left for the serendipity - the romance - the sheer joy of the speechwriting craft if you will. 

I keep reading it's a lot like acting. And it's true. I get into character when I'm ghostwriting--well I try to anyway, best I can. I put myself in the speakers shoes, imagine myself in their head and under their skin and think of things that they might think and see and do or say. It can actually be quite fun! I get to learn a ton, A TON, about Toronto, there's a shit load of ridiculously cool grassroots organizations out there doing some friggin fantastic work.

I have a deep (perhaps deeper?) affection for Barack Obama. Politics aside, he who makes himself available to his chief speechwriter - Jon Favreau -  is in my good books. Favreau, being in his late 20s, is inspiration enough. I'm only now learning how difficult "access" is to come by. I wish I had it, I so rarely do. There's somethings you just can't make up. So as much as you hope your speaker will add colour and anecdotes in the delivery, you lose the umpf factor and most of your control in resonating with your audience when you don't have that inside scoop. Though when you do, boy do you make the most of it. Like a kid in a candy store, you soak it in with each and every one of your senses. 

The learning curve is steep, that's putting it lightly. But, I'm really enjoying it. I've always believed I'm a bit of a masochist and that I like this experience is proof of that. The absolute decimation of my ego allows for a pure and uninhibited focus on honing some key skills. 

I still have a long, long ways to go. I know where I'd like to be and where I need to be. But, the process is - and has been - trying, and excruciatingly slow. I hope to have opportunities to meet some of the impeccable speechwriters that have come before my time. Canada seems to lag behind the States and parts of Europe in organizing a Guild of sorts, but I guess that's no surprise. 

I'll do my best to post updates as I soldier on - both here and on my twitter account @DLamsar. My sincere apologies to those missing me in their lives. Trust me, my end is probably just as lonely - if not more - than yours. 

Until next time, much love. 

d.

Oh and here's some sweet literary connoisseuring from The West Wing. Enjoy! 



"Securing peace in a time of global conflict. Sustaining hope in this winner of anxiety and fear.
More than any time in recent history, America’s destiny is not of our own choosing.
We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life.
We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil.
Yet, the true measure of a peoples’ strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
44 people were killed 4 hours on the swim team. Upon hearing about the explosions, they ran into the fire to help get people out.
Ran into the fire.
The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels tonight. They’re our students and our parents and our teachers our friends. The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels tonight.
But, every time we think we’ve reached our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and are reminded that that capacity may well be limitless.
This is a time for American heroes. We will do what is hard.
We will achieve what is great.
This is a time for American heroes. And we reach for the stars.
God bless their memory. God bless you. And God bless the United States of America."-- President Bartlet in "20 Hours in America"

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral. Returning violence with violence only multiplies violence. Adding deeper darkness to a night already void of stars." -- Quoting Dr. King, in "The Dogs of War"

No comments: