Sunday, September 21, 2008

K3G...what do you have over me?


For those of you that know me...and well, for those of you that don't...I'm not much of a crier. I tend to bottle my feelings up inside until that time of the month when every girl hates being a girl-sorry guys, haha! So, true to form-whenever I need a good cry to let it out, I watch this old Bollywood (Indian version of Hollyood) movie called Khabi Kushi Kabi Gham (a.k.a. K3G).

I just finished watching it and started musing-hence the re-name of my blog-about why I always cry, without fail, when I watch this movie? I usually cry at a bunch of points throughout the movie b/c the characters inject a ridiculous about of pathos into their roles...but I cried long and hard during two parts in particular today. Once, when Kajol's father passes away and once when two brothers part their separate ways due to a disagreement in the family.

This past summer, I had similar experiences to these characters. I lost my best friend in the whole world, my grandmother, and my sister moved away for university-albeit, minus the disagreement...I just miss her. So I relate to the emotions these characters are feeling in the movie, especially the cultural significance of losing or parting with a loved one. Indian families tend to be incredibly family-oriented, that is, family values, pride, honour kind of trumps all other priorities in your life. I guess that only holds true if you're close to your family, as in my case.

I shared the movie with friends whom I thought would particularly enjoy it...so for those of you that are interested please visit the link below (there are English subs).

That's all for now...keep it real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR3udH_c62c&feature=related

No comments: